03 December 2006

 

Recommended Reading

My preparation for the Africa trip continues...hard to believe that a month from now we'll be up-all-night preparing for the trip. The clock at the top of the page just keeps ticking away! I give thanks to God that our flight leaves Indy at 1:30ish in the afternoon on our departure day (Jaunary 4th) so we don't have to be at the airport until 10:30 or so! This means I might actually get some sleep the night before!

One of the books I've been reading to prepare is a book called Blood Diamonds, by Greg Campbell. It tells the story of the diamond trade and the events and ideas that led up to the conflict in Sierra Leone. It is at times horrifying, but it gives great insights into the history and culture that have led to the situation we'll encounter on our trip.

The area of Sierra Leone we'll be visiting is pretty much right in the middle of the diamond mining area of the country. There's a lot riding on the success of Jaiama Secondary School, which was virtually obliterated during the years of conflict. If the school is able to rebuild and get back to its prior capacity (and contribute to the tradition which led to the area being known as "The Athens of West Africa"), then word -- and hope -- will spread like wildfire all around Sierra Leone. Jaiama is kind of the "If they can make it work there, we can make it work anywhere" proving ground -- and I, for one, am excited about the opportunity God has placed before us to rebuild hope there, so hope can be rebuilt all over the country.

FUNDRAISING UPDATE: I've got about $1,170 to go, and a short time to get there. Final payments are due on December 20, so I hope you'll forgive any second (or third!) requests that I may have made...this trip is hugely important to me, and I'm going to work my butt off to make it happen! I love you and thank God for the opportunity that you can help provide for me and for the people of Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?